Luis is a lawyer with accounting and financial training, specialized in taxation. He advises companies, non-for-profit entities and individuals in the structuring of their businesses and transactions efficiently, avoiding potential contingencies, and also assist them through tax audits.
He has significant experience on tax litigation, which dates back to his former position at the Autoridad de Impugnación Tributaria (AIT), Bolivia´s Administrative Tax Court, where he has served as Deputy Director.
He frequently participates in cross border transactions due to his knowledges on international taxation. Luis has participated in the analysis and counterproposals to many tax treaties, from his former positions at the Deputy Ministry of Tax Policy.
Luis has also participated in drafting many tax and customs’ regulations, including the proposals for a new Tax Code and Customs Law.
He frequently provides legal advice on financial regulation, having assisted clients on debt securities issuance, investment funds structuring and securities litigation.
He is a lecturer at the Universidad Andina Simón Bolivar’s LLM in Taxation program, where he teaches International Tax Planning, Tax Treaties and Administrative Tax Procedures. Additionally, he is lecturer in many other taxation programs imparted at Universidad Mayor de San Andrés (UMSA) Taxation and Customs program Universidad Privada Boliviana (UPB), Universidad La Salle y Universidad Cumbre.
His work in tax and banking and finance has been mentioned in prestigious international rankings such as Legal 500, World Tax and Leaders League.
- Advised an international holding company with shareholders in Bolivia, Luxemburg and Switzerland, on a potential cross-border merger between a Spanish ETVE and a Bolivian subsidiary, and the consequent transfer of an important Bolivian bank’s ownership.
- Instructed by PANAMERICAN SECURITIES to provide tax and financial regulatory advice to an energy company to design a strategy for dissolving a Securitization Trust Fund and proceed with the settlement of assets and obligations in an efficient way.
- Advised to local financial entities in drafting and executing their contracts with Spanish providers (COBISCORP Spain and Bolsas y Mercados Españoles), concerning the development of a new core and mobile apps for the financial services users, and the implementation of a platform for electronic trading. The transactions involved an exhaustive analysis of the double taxation treaty with Spain.
- Provided estate planning for many local family groups, with members residing in Europe and USA, and assets located in Argentina, Bolivia, Germany, USA, Sweden, UK and many other jurisdictions.
- Assisted the in-house team of one of the biggest real estate projects in Latin-American, with the drafting of their contracts with clients and their suppliers, to avoid tax contingencies and comply with IFRS.
- Performed tax due diligences and advised on restructuring processes for many touristic services companies, considering the application of VAT’s benefits provided by the law for the sale of touristic packages to international operators.
- Advised several companies in the quinoa sector on structuring a tax and legal vehicle for the financing and joint execution of works for developing a new production technology for real quinoa.
- Transactional Tax
- Tax Planning
- International Taxation
- Banking and Finance
- Estate Planning
- Custom Law
- Tax Litigation
- Law Degree from the Universidad Católica Boliviana, Bolivia.
- Master in Economic Law, Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Bolivia
- Diploma on International Taxation, Universidad Austral, Argentina
- Diploma on Tax Control of Financial Entities and Transactions, Centro Interamericano de Administraciones Tributarias (CIAT), Panama.
- Diploma on Accountancy. Fundación IDEA. Bolivia.
- Bolivia Public Register of Lawyers
- International Fiscal Association – Chapter Bolivia
- Instituto Boliviano de Estudios Tributarios